
One of the great losses of living in Texas as a displaced Midwestern girl is the absence of one of my favorite foods - sweet corn. Having grown up in Illinois with the majority of my relatives being farmers, I was able to enjoy sweet corn in many forms for several months of the year. In fact, we would eat it until we were sick of it ... and then eat it just to get rid of it.
Since I left, my awesome aunts now go to the effort of shaving it off the cob, freezing it, and then pulling it out at Christmas time for me since it is the one time of year they know I will be home to enjoy it. It has become one of the things I look most forward to at Christmas dinner!
I like sweet corn best right off the cob. I enjoy the process of husking it, preparing it, and then buttering and salting it to perfection. Ask Jonathan; I'm a pro. He even has me doctor up his ears (corn that is) :)
Now I know you Texans will try to tell me I can get corn at HEB. And let me tell you NO; it is not the same. NOTHING can replace the perfect sweetness and juiciness of Midwestern corn. Yes, that's right, NOT everything is better in Texas (contrary to your indoctrination).
So here's my great sorrow ... it seems my beloved daughter does not share my passion for the most wonderful of all vegetables. I have twice now tried to feed her a baby food called Sweet Corn Casserole, and both times she has acted like I am forcing her to eat nails. Granted it doesn't look too good and I sure as heck am not going to taste it to see if it resembles the sweet corn I love. But really? I guess that's what I get for birthing a daughter who is a true Texan. I can only pray she will some day see the error of her ways. (Sigh)

7 comments:
I read that you have to try giving something up to 15 times before giving up on a food. Keep trying...she may develop a taste for it!
Have you tried Central Market??? :)
She is her father's daughter - have I ever even seen JD eat a vegetable?? I don't think I have. I used to put ketchup on my corn as a kid - I grew out of that :)
I'll bet if you put Tabasco on that corn she'd scarf it down (since she is her father's daughter).
I don't have to be there when you do it, you can tell me how it goes! :)
Corn on the cob sounds good!
I don't think that you can count her out until she has tried the 'real deal'-- not the canned, babyfood version....... come Christmas, I bet you'll be so pleasantly pleased!
Maybe she'd like corn cassarole if it was made by corn from richest soils of the great midwest???
Oh, I don't know if this is good enough for you, but Sun Harvest is having a 72 hour sale on corn this weekend. 25 cents an ear. ~Pete
Post a Comment