March 3, 2008

Stereotypical Voter

Here are just of few of the curious things that caught my attention while early-voting last week as I surveyed the other voters around me:

Jaguar, Minivan, Farm truck.
Christian fish emblem, yellow ribbon magnet, cattle guard.
Hispanic, African-American, White.
"The next generation", Generation X, Baby Boomers, and those so old they don't even have a moniker.
Complainers, contemplators, changers.
Cowboy hats, khaki pants, post office uniform.
Aggie, Longhorn, Cowboy. (This is definitely the Texas primary!)
Military crew cut, blue hair, weave.
Baby stroller, walker, school bag.

As I noted each of these characteristics, I tried to contemplate what it said about who these people would be voting for for President. However, it occurred to me that those characteristics I couldn't see speak as loudly as those I could. For example, I don't know these people's family histories, health issues, financial portfolios, or religious affiliations. I don't know if they have loved ones serving in our military or have suffered some sort of loss at the hands of our government. While I enjoyed my experience people-watching, I was challenged about the detriment of stereotyping and how my "false read" could affect how I treat and relate to people.

However, I had to wonder what the lady in front of me in line was thinking about me when she offered to get me a sample ballot and brought back the Democratic one. When I look at myself, I see someone who is nearly 30 years old, white, a lifelong Christian, stay at home mom, lawyer by training, married to another lawyer who works for a big firm. But how do others see me?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really like hot dogs?

Mells said...

I voted today and I know what you mean. I met a person in line that I hadn't seen since elementary school. We chatted for a bit until my card was checked and I headed to the small Republican line and she kind of looked at me like, "what's wrong with you!?" Oh well, I met another woman in the Republican line who goes to my church and she and I were able to chat; that helped the awkward situation. ;) Talk to you later! :)

Anonymous said...

When I (and some friends of mine) went to the polls today, we noticed that the Democratic table was pretty empty and most were in the Republican line...good ol' College Station! There was a really nice elderly lady handing out numbers that offered to "watch" Anthony while I took 2 whole minutes to vote. :-) It was a fun experience with kids.

-Christi