November 20, 2007

How do YOU define "Delayed Gratification"?

Jonathan defines it as a 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Truck.

If you know my husband at all, you know he loves toys, and when he sees one he wants, he wants it NOW. And if you know me at all, you know I am a cheapskate and a rational thinker (not that JD's not - that skill just diminishes somewhat when it comes to something he wants). So as you might guess, we sometimes conflict in this area.

Well, we've been in the market for a new truck. In our discussions, the date to buy kept getting moved forward; however, it seemed we had settled on a pretty firm deadline of sometime after the start of the year. We created a caveat to that deadline when we decided to see if we could get an end of the season deal on a '07. Unfortunately, we were too late because most dealerships were out. But going to dealerships gave Jonathan the hunger to start shopping in earnest regardless of any previously set deadlines. While I did not agree to change our deadline, I did agree we could start researching and shopping in preparation to buy.

We contacted and went to several dealerships and got several quotes. We even walked out of two dealerships when we couldn't get them to agree on a price we were happy with. (This nearly KILLED Jonathan). Finally, one of the dealerships called us back yesterday and agreed to sell us the truck we wanted at the price we asked for. Jonathan was like a kid on Christmas morning he was so happy!

I have to give it to JD - he did a great job dealing with his thrifty wife. He did the research I asked, shopped around, haggled, walked away when it was necessary, and was patient with me even when he realized he might have to wait on getting his truck. I know this wasn't easy for him! We prayed together for the right truck at the right price at the right time and that God would help us to be united in our decision. Thankfully, God answered our prayers!
















Jonathan and his "babies"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go JD... That is awesome. All trucks look the same to me, but I am sure it is amazing.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully Morgan will wait at least a week before she mega poops in the new truck :)

Stephanie said...

Congratulations on the new truck! The color's beautiful...*smiles* Scott will be SO excited to check it out, for sure... But, also "congrats" goes to ya'll for the way you went about your decision... That's really awesome - and God gets all the glory for it!...*smiles* It's difficult sometimes when the husband and wife have such different ideas/backgrounds concerning the way they view money...(I'm definitely more the "saver," and Scott's the "spender") But, God's amazing and can work things out in His perfect timing...and bring peace to ANY situation! And, that makes owning that truck that much sweeter, knowing that God's hand was in the whole process...*smiles* Congratulations again! And, enjoy!

Kelly said...

I was wondering when Mom and Dad told me that you had bought a new truck . . . you hadn't mentioned that you were even looking, then you had one. Holding Brenda's baby on Thanksgiving made me anxious to hang out with Morgan.

Unknown said...

Mmm...mmm...mmmm, what a fine lookin' truck!