The day I waited a year for finally arrived last Tuesday - the beginning of Mother's Day Out 2009-10. Last year Morgan didn't qualify for MDO because she missed the age cutoff by 12 days ... a fate which will likely follow her her entire school career (sucks being a September baby someimtes). Needless to say, I was beyond stoked a month ago when it was announced that MDO would be starting a few weeks earlier than anticipated and even more elated when that day made its long-awaited arrival last week. I was one giddy mommy last week as I dropped off Morgan for her first day. I'm sure my smile was so wide I could've been in a toothpaste commercial.
Now before you go berating me for not being sad over my daughter's first day of "school" or wanting a few hours away from her, let me just remind you that the program is called Mothers Day Out - not Kids Day Out. So yeah, in a way, it's all about me :) But honestly I feel that my entire family ... and potentially all those in my little life ... benefit from this lady feeling happy, refreshed, and well-rested. I'm pretty sure my other stay-at-home mom friends will back me up on this.
But alas, it isn't all about me. I really am excited for Morgan to have social time around other kids her age as well as be in a structured environment where she can both learn and have fun. She now has two weeks under her belt. Her teacher's comments so far have ranged from "She's a good eater" to "She loves to dance" to "She might speak Spanish" (because Morgan mimics EVERYTHING anyone says and the teacher has to speak Spanish to one of the other students). One thing she hasn't mastered yet is the nap time concept. I'm sure napping on the floor with seven other kids might be a bit distracting. But at this point I don't mind because it means I score an additional two hours of quiet time while she naps once she gets home.
I know she's settling in though. This morning when I dropped her off, she went straight to the table to color, turned to me and said "Bye", and set off to her crayons letting me leave with no show of sadness or fear. On the flip side, I have begun to love returning to pick her up in the afternoons because she is always so excited to see me. What a great feeling.
I already wonder if her teacher knows what a gem she's dealing with in my daughter, but then I'm a little biased. And so begins the next sixteen years of schooling...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Awww...I know she's going to have a great year! Poor Connor is almost three and finally gets to graduate to the 2 year old class at church! LOL!
I'm so with you on the whole thing! ;) I'm so glad that she likes her school and that you are getting some much needed time to yourself!:) BTW, it was so nice to see you all on Wednesday night! :)
My feelings about MDO is mutually shared with you. I love MDO!
Post a Comment