May 1, 2009

The Love Buzz (I mean Prom) Challenge

It's that time of year - Prom Season! Because prom at good ol' DTHS always seemed to fall on Mother's Day weekend, the coming of that holiday reminds me that prom is just around the corner ... shows where my priorities are, huh? What's even more sad is I've been bugging our babysitter for literally months to find out whether or not she's got her prom dress yet :) I just want to live vicariously through her!

Since my high school days, I have always loved prom. I think mostly it was the chance to put on a fancy dress, get my hair done, ride in a limo, and feel like an adult for one evening that was so alluring to me. In fact, I remember prom buzz started at DTHS shortly after we all returned from Christmas break. Accordingly, I had to make a game plan to ensure I had a date for this all-important-of-dances because I sure as heck wasn't going if I didn't have one. And this wasn't easy for me because, let's face it, I was neither "cool" or a knock-out. In fact, I was probably more cynical and sarcastic back then than I am now and was in a lot of ways a tomboy (I had a strict anti-dress policy). Both attributes are big turn on's for guys, trust me. Thankfully God showed mercy on this pathetic soul and provided me with dates for both my Junior and Senior Proms (ironically, both named Tim).

Neither of my prom experiences disappointed either. I had a total blast with my dates and the friends I went with. I find that even now that the prom season of my life is more than a decade behind me, I still enjoy this time of year. In fact, I like going to the fancier restaurants here in San Antonio on Friday and Saturday nights during prom season just to see all the kids (literally) in their prom attire. (Yeah, get that DTHS friends, proms here don't include a meal!).

I already hope Morgan will enjoy getting dressed up for her prom like I did. My mom was never one to take lots of pictures or go over the top with the "oh'ing" and "ah-ing" of high school dances, but prom time was different with her. She seemed to enjoy taking me and my sisters dress shopping and helping us get all dolled up. I'm pretty sure I'll be amped up about 10 times that with Morgan. Poor girl ... I hope she'll be ready :)

Okay, okay, so I titled this "The Love Buzz Challenge" and you're probably dying for me to get to the point already, huh? (Sorry, I needed to take the detour down memory lane to help set the mood.) Well, what I want is for us all to dig through our old photo albums and find our prom pictures and post them ... on your blog or on Facebook, wherever. And while you're at it, post a memory and/or story or two about your prom experiences. I'm sure there are some wickedly bad (and therefore funny) prom stories out there too :) Let's not be bashful friends! Once you've done this, please post in my comment section so I can check it out ... and if you're brave, leave your blog address there so all my other "fans" can take a gander! (Health Careers, don't you let me down!)

Oh, and about the term "Love Buzz" - it was the theme of one of my Proms. Amanda, as one of our class officers, maybe you can explain how this came about?? All I know is it was a Nirvana song ... and I only know that because I googled it :)

Alright, I'm off to search for my prom pics! Can't wait to see what you all come up with. -B

Duck Tape's 2007 "Stuck at Prom" Scholarship Winners

It's a problem when your (male) date's skirt is shorter than your's.

I'm sure the guy on the right is adorned in a white sheet nowadays.
And his confederate girlfriend/wife is probably now wearing
too-tight Daisy Dukes chasing six kids around their trailer home.

Um ... yeah. There are no words.

5 comments:

The Mrs. said...

Oh, yeah. THIS is what I'm talking about! I did a post awhile back about my dress from my sophomore year which I'll provide the link for, but give me a few days and I'll devote an entirely new post to the awesomeness that is Prom.

A walk down memory lane complete with scanning old high school pictures? I now know what I'll be doing this weekend.

As for the Love Buzz theme, that had to have been the class of '97. They were much more alternative than the more '80s minded "Hold On To The Night" class of 1996.

Here's the link. Be prepared for big hair and teal.

(http://onecarbonhill.blogspot.com/2007/08/lets-talk-fashion-version-20.html)

Vanessa said...

where's the pic of you at your proms? hehe!

Kara said...

Yeah - where's your prom pic? Sheesh - I guess I will have to do this now!

Barb said...

I can see I lost your attention by the end of my post since I clearly signed off saying I was going to look for my prom pictures! Geesh.

I swear I'm not asking you to do anything, I'm not also willing to do!

Vanessa said...

Drat--this one should stay...

Darn ADD again. I got distratcted by the pics and didn't read the last line.