I know you've all been waiting with bated breath to see my prom pics. It took me some doing to find them, and even once I found them, they were only wallet-size. I must have lost the 5x7s somewhere along the way. Needless to say, I apologize for any poor picture quality.
I did have quite a fun trip down memory lane on my scouring search. I found so many notes, pictures, and momentos from my high school years that brought back both good and not-so-good memories. For sure, I would not want to re-live high school again, but this little expedition was a fun one, if only to remember where I came from.
So, at long last, here you go. Feel free to laugh; just don't tell me you did - my delicate ego can't take it :)
Junior Prom ('95) with Tim #1
(What kind of Glamor Shots prom pose is this?!
...but look at those cool gloves!)
My date for Senior Prom (themed "Love Buzz") was my boyfriend of a few months, Tim #2. Again, we attended with a group of eight of our friends. (I think eight must have been the magic number a stretch limo could seat.) As a senior, I remember being so carefree at prom because it seemed like a pre-celebration to graduation which was just a few weeks away. I had a great group of friends that year, and I knew that freedom from my petty high school prison was within reach. My sister Steph, a sophomore, also attended prom that year with a junior so that made it more special; I won't post any of her prom pics here though as she might kill me.
I remember Tim #2 and I danced most of the night. He loved to dance and was a good dancer. After prom, the group of us took a limo ride up into Chicago and did a bit of site-seeing. While driving around, I recall standing out the top of the sunroof of the limo and saying "Nice Car" to the owner of an expensive car next to us at a stoplight. His response was, "Sell drugs and you can get one." Classy. Our Prom Day 2 event was taking in a Chicago White Sox game at Comiskey Park.
Sorry, I don't have any great funny or embarassing stories to regale you with. My proms were pretty uneventful in that regard - and yet meaningful to me nonethelss. The one thing that did piss me off about my proms was that both times another girl had the exact same dress I was wearing. For real. After all that shopping for the "perfect" dress and there it was - my perfect dress on someone else. What didn't they get? That was my dress! One of my younger cousins and our babysitter have informed me that nowadays certain stores make lists cataloging which dresses have been sold to members of which schools so this dress duplication can no longer happen. Crazy, huh?
Well, that's that my friends. Thanks to those of you who have already participated via Facebook or your blogs. For those who haven't, come on and join the fun!
I did have quite a fun trip down memory lane on my scouring search. I found so many notes, pictures, and momentos from my high school years that brought back both good and not-so-good memories. For sure, I would not want to re-live high school again, but this little expedition was a fun one, if only to remember where I came from.
So, at long last, here you go. Feel free to laugh; just don't tell me you did - my delicate ego can't take it :)
Junior Prom ('95) with Tim #1(What kind of Glamor Shots prom pose is this?!
...but look at those cool gloves!)
Junior Prom (themed 'Hold On To the Night' - thanks Amanda!) I attended with Tim #1. Tim #1 and I attended church and performed in the school plays with each other. A group of about eight of us, mostly drama folks, decided to take on this prom venture together. I remember this clan, which consisted of quite a few anxious-to-flee-H.S.-and-small-town-IL seniors, was an unusual bunch. Unusual in that they enjoyed mocking and even parodying the Nazis and the Masons. And the soundtrack to most all our get-togethers was anything by the Beatles. What can I say? They (or I should say we {choke}) were drama dorks. Naturally, our night at prom included several antics in keeping with this offbeat vein. It's funny - and a bit disturbting - to me now how at that time I thought so little of how bizzaire some of our actions were.
Now let me enlighten my Texas friends for a moment, up in Podunkville, IL, prom is not just a dance. It is an EVENT. Prom itself includes a sit down meal and dance at the same location with all your classmates and their dates. Included within the prom is what is known as the Grand March, where all the couples line up and parade into the ballroom together - basically like a bunch of bridesmaids and groomsmen entering a wedding reception. To make the March weirder, they allow parents to be there for this fantastic display of pomp. And then to top things off, the festivities always run into the next day when you, your date, and maybe a few friends make plans to go somewhere together - doing something besides driving-to-the-next-closest-town-for-dinner-or-a-movie which you did every other weekend. For example, after my Junior Prom, my group of unusual friends and I went up to Six Flags Great America for the day.
Now let me enlighten my Texas friends for a moment, up in Podunkville, IL, prom is not just a dance. It is an EVENT. Prom itself includes a sit down meal and dance at the same location with all your classmates and their dates. Included within the prom is what is known as the Grand March, where all the couples line up and parade into the ballroom together - basically like a bunch of bridesmaids and groomsmen entering a wedding reception. To make the March weirder, they allow parents to be there for this fantastic display of pomp. And then to top things off, the festivities always run into the next day when you, your date, and maybe a few friends make plans to go somewhere together - doing something besides driving-to-the-next-closest-town-for-dinner-or-a-movie which you did every other weekend. For example, after my Junior Prom, my group of unusual friends and I went up to Six Flags Great America for the day.
My date for Senior Prom (themed "Love Buzz") was my boyfriend of a few months, Tim #2. Again, we attended with a group of eight of our friends. (I think eight must have been the magic number a stretch limo could seat.) As a senior, I remember being so carefree at prom because it seemed like a pre-celebration to graduation which was just a few weeks away. I had a great group of friends that year, and I knew that freedom from my petty high school prison was within reach. My sister Steph, a sophomore, also attended prom that year with a junior so that made it more special; I won't post any of her prom pics here though as she might kill me.
I remember Tim #2 and I danced most of the night. He loved to dance and was a good dancer. After prom, the group of us took a limo ride up into Chicago and did a bit of site-seeing. While driving around, I recall standing out the top of the sunroof of the limo and saying "Nice Car" to the owner of an expensive car next to us at a stoplight. His response was, "Sell drugs and you can get one." Classy. Our Prom Day 2 event was taking in a Chicago White Sox game at Comiskey Park.
Sorry, I don't have any great funny or embarassing stories to regale you with. My proms were pretty uneventful in that regard - and yet meaningful to me nonethelss. The one thing that did piss me off about my proms was that both times another girl had the exact same dress I was wearing. For real. After all that shopping for the "perfect" dress and there it was - my perfect dress on someone else. What didn't they get? That was my dress! One of my younger cousins and our babysitter have informed me that nowadays certain stores make lists cataloging which dresses have been sold to members of which schools so this dress duplication can no longer happen. Crazy, huh?
Well, that's that my friends. Thanks to those of you who have already participated via Facebook or your blogs. For those who haven't, come on and join the fun!


9 comments:
I love your new layout! :)
Also, thanks for sharing your prom challenge and experiences!!! I have been meaning to post our prom pic, but haven't. I will add it to my FB tonight! :) I think that you look so pretty in both! It is so much fun to go back down memory lane! :) Thanks again! :)
Love the white gloves!! I am still looking for my pictures from Jr and Senior Prom.
Trina
I have no clue where to look for my prom pictures. Nothing memorable. Actually it pretty much sucked, but at least I can say that I went. :) Therefore, you'll probably never see the pics unless M&D still have them! :)
YEAH! I forgot those pictures, but man you were H-O-T HOT!!!
On the same dress thing--we had a place that would only sell one of a dress to a school, so that's where I went :)
Seriously, as i sort through moving stuff, I will find mine and post them on FB.
I like the idea of it being an event including dinner. It seems like most folks at our prom spent as little time there as possible, making it not as much fun as it could have been.
I love your humor Barb!
Your photos are awesome!! I don't have any photos from my senior prom. I went stag with another girl in a group of friends. I think I took a photo by myself, but I threw them out, because it is just sad to have a prom photo with only you in the photo.
I made the best of it and wore a hot little red dress. Something like Kelly would wear on Saved by the Bell. I danced with a bunch of different guys and in groups. I made their dates all jealous. It was fun in the end. After that I went to a Christian party. I remember someone playing Rich Mullin songs on the radio. yeah, we were a wild bunch.
after reading your post I understand your excitement for prom now. I would have been excited too if mine was like yours.
oops. I meant they play Rich Mullin songs on the piano... not radio.
Post a Comment