We woke up Thursday morning to beautiful Midwestern fall weather - cool and crisp. While Jonathan attended his meetings, Morgan and I went out to explore Millennium Park which I had never seen before (it opened in 2004). The Park was so cool. Below are some of the pictures:
It's a three story steel sculpture meant to resemble
a drop of mercury hovering at the point of landing.
Faces of resident Chicagoans are projected on them and change every five minutes.
right before the towers change to the next face.
Thursday JD joined us for lunch in Millennium Park and then ducked out of his conference early that afternoon to stroll Michigan Avenue with us. That night we enjoyed Chicago-style pizza at Pizzeria Due (the kid-sister to Pizzeria Uno).
Friday my sister Kel and her boyfriend Jess came up to the city to hang out with us. This was the first time we met Jess, and he received our stamp of approval :) He and Kel even watched Morgan for two hours while JD and I went on an architectural tour of the notable buildings along the river. Unfortunately, it was drizzly so the tour wasn't as wonderful as it could've been. That night the four of us enjoyed even more Chicago-style pizza - this time at Pizzeria Uno. And no, I don't ever get tired of it!
Friday night SIX inches of rain from Hurricane Ike drenched Chicago. So after all that hype in San Antonio about Ike, they saw not a drop of rain and we, in Chicago, got six inches. Go figure. Saturday morning we drove into Dwight (my hometown) and celebrated Morgan's first birthday (which was that day!) with my parents, Kel & Jess, my grandparents, and several of my aunts, uncles and cousins. It was a super way to celebrate Morgan's big day! I was so glad we were able to share that with them. Morgan loved eating her own personal birthday cake made by my Grandma. However, she decided to "blow" out her lone candle by snuffing out the flame with her palm.
The rain poured all day Saturday and more Saturday night. Sunday we made a quick visit to my Grandma Walsh (where we also visited with my Aunt Jill) before braving the wet roadways back up to the airport. What a whirlwind!
All in all, it was a great trip. I love Chicago and I love my family. Maybe that's why Daniel asked me upon returning home, "So are you guys moving to Chicago?" Some days, I wish...

7 comments:
Sounds like you guys had a great trip...and enjoyed doing the "tourist" thing this time! And, how awesome that ya'll got to be with your family for Morgan's real 1st birthday! I'm jealous that you had cool, rainy weather while you were there...*grins* Yep, we'll have to do lunch again sometime soon - check your schedule and let me know when works best for you... Talk to you soon!
Just know if you move to Chicago you'll have to include the cost of the "Espinoza Wing" cause we'd be visiting so much. We love the Second City too, just wish it wasn't so dang expensive.
I agree with Daniel. You'll have to build the Schlueter/Cooper wing as well. So I hope you have tons of cash stored away because you'll need a mansion at this point! :)
I enjoyed seeing the pics of my 2nd fave city. When we visited Millenium Park, they were filming Jennifer Aniston/Clive Owens film "Derailed". It was pretty cool to watch.
How wonderful it must have felt to celebrate Morgan's birthday with your family as well. Opportunities like that are hard to come by when you're so far from family.
Wow! It looks like you had so much fun. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy each other and your family. God bless you all!
Looks like a great trip!!! I really like Chicago! Don't move there, though. We'd miss you! :)
Yay for Pizzeria Uno! Love that place. :)
Post a Comment