Funny thing is I never used one while I was working, but now that I stay at home I find I need it. The inherent problem with planners is that they show you just how much time you have left to fill. And so I try and try to make sure all my minutes are utilized, and when someone asks if I can, my planner seems to say, "Sure you can; you have space on Wednesday afternoon." It's really a killer!
Instead what I really need is to schedule time to rest and spend time with those I care about. As I was in my car today listening to one of my favorite sources of inspiration, Sara Groves, her song "Just One More Thing" played and reminded me about keeping perspective of my time. Below are the lyrics; I particularly love the chorus. The emphases added are mine.
There's always just one more thing
There's always another task
There's always I just have one more small favor to ask
And everything is urgent and everything is now
I wonder what would really happen if I stopped somehow
I'll be there in a minute
Just a few places to go
You wake up a few years later and your kids are grown
And everything is important
But everything is not
At the end of your life your relationships are all you're got
(Chorus)
And love to me is when you put down that one more thing and say
I've got something better to do
And love to me is when you walk out on that one more thing and say
Nothing will come between me and you
Not even one more thing
There will never be an end to
The request upon your time
It's your place to stand up and tell the world
You've got to rest awhile
And everything is important
But everything is not
At the end of your life your relationships are all you've got
And love to me is when you put down that one more thing and say
I've got something better to do
And love to me is when you walk out on that one more thing and say
Nothing will come between me and you
Not even one more thing
That being said, one of the things noted on my planner this week is helping out with our church's Vacation Bible School. The theme is Veggie Tales' The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything.

This is definitely one of the more worthwhile things I've chosen to spend my time on! If I'm going to invest my time and energy, I'd like to put it into something that has potential to have lasting effect - what better way than to plant the word of God and the love of Christ into a child!
Hope you all find the time (or make it if you have to) this week for those you most value in your life or who could be benefited by just a little more of you in their lives :)
**And for those of you who haven't listened to Sara Groves yet, I'd love to lend you her CDs!

6 comments:
I wish I could use a planner... I love that there are so many different, cute styles of planners out there now...so it's not the way they look that's a problem... It's the fact that, even when I've tried using one in the past, I can't seem to keep up with it...either forgetting to bring it with me or having it with me and forgetting to write stuff down... (I think it may have a little to do with the whole "never-been-able-to-keep-a-diary" thing since I was a little girl...OR more recently, the "having-a-hard-time-remembering-to-blog" thing... But, I'm getting better!) Anyway, I'd love to be so organized... Perhaps I'll try dusting off the planner that's been wasting away on a shelf in my room...I mean, there are still a few months left in 2008 that I can utilize in the calendar before having to start over completely, right? :)
That's a very good point! I fill my calendar with as much as I can, but the empty days can be the most rewarding. Thanks for the reminder and I hope VBS is fun!
Ah yes the planner. I've commented so many times this summer to family, friends, doctors, etc., that I'm more busy during the summer months than when I'm teaching. I find that I am lost without my planner in my purse during these months off. Today is my day off with no workshops or appointments. I feel like I could just sit in my PJs all day long. But alas, no. I already have a "to do" list in my head as soon as I woke up. I appreciate you reminding all of us to slow down and take time out for us.
Uh Sara Groves Rocks!!
I'm a slave as well....mine fills up way too quickly!! I wish we could have helped with VBS...we were in Boston!
I always forgot my planner at home, so I got a phone that has one on it. Now I never have to worry about double booking... I simply slide it into the next available slot, "why yes Mr. Smith, I'd love to meet you for lunch. How does Tuesday February 19th sound?"
I get to preach this Sunday and this is very close to what I'm talking about. I won't point you out or make you stand up or anything. You're safe.
Post a Comment