August 2008: I turn 30 and my metabolism decides it no longer likes me.
September 2008: Morgan turns one and I quit nursing. Now where will all those extra calories go?
Holidays '08-09: I eat like a pig, counting on my turbo metabolism to even everything out for me post holidays.
Spring 2009: The rubber tire settles in around the ol' midsection and I get repulsed. My clothing starts to rebel.
Father's Day 2009: JD & I decide that it's time to do something and finally join a gym - something we haven't done in almost six years.
August 2009: All our friends (okay, at least a dozen of them) decide they want to run the San Antonio Half Marathon or Marathon. I ain't cut out for that. However, we decide to hop on this psychotic bandwagon and sign up for a 5K. We also drag along JD's sister Jen and their parents.
Aug-Oct 2009: Oh the training! Seriously people, I played softball growing up. My extent of running was around those four little bases and from the dugout out to my position and back. Running is not for me. I begin to question my mental sanity but continue to plod away - even in the hot, sticky S.A. weather.
This Friday: It rains much of the day and brings in a cold front. The 5K is scheduled in a park that can be known to flood out in portions. I call the event sponsor to find out if maybe I'll be getting a "free pass." No such luck.
This Saturday: The 5K arrives. I haven't yet been able to successfully run 3.1 miles (without at least some walking) in my training. My goal is to run the entire thing with no walking, but I have become resigned to the fact that that may not be possible. I also don't own running clothes for cold weather. Do I really want to do this?
JD & I start off. We run through several puddles from the rain. JD completely submerges one shoe. We are surrounded by a group of high school girls who find it amusing to sprint, then cold stop right in front of us, walk awhile, and start this routine all over again. I'm trudging along; JD is trying to talk with me, distract me from my suffering. Doesn't he get that I'm just trying to breath, not carry on a conversation?!? The course curves and swirls like the fall wind, going in no particular direction. The end seems nowhere in sight. I'm wondering at what point I should take a little "walk break". JD continues to stick with me even though he could be running faster. He's playing around, keeping me entertained, convincing me we are almost at the end. Each new turn and I think "yeah, this is it" but then I'm wrong. Getting more pissed off. Finding it harder to breath. My legs are barely doing the fatty shuffle.
Then we finally get to a portion of the park I recognize and I know that we are now getting near the end. But to ruin my joy, one of the participants (a white haired older man - grrr) who has already finished the race comes jogging back in the opposite direction, smiling gleefully saying, "You're almost there." I wanna punch him for being done, for smiling, for being old and not winded while I'm choking out each breath left in my deflating lungs. And then another twist and we're headed away from where I think "the end" is supposed to be. NOOO! However, I can hear the lady on the loud speaker calling people toward the finish so I know I'm getting close. Finally, we make it there. And my sweet husband graciously pushes me across the finish line to let me complete the race first.
I DID IT! I ran the whole thing. It took me about 34 minutes to complete it, but I did it. I couldn't have done it without my rockin' husband (thanks Babe!). I feel pretty darn good about myself too. However, I don't really want to do it again anytime soon. I just want to return to going to the gym and enjoying (as much as I can) my time on the elliptical and weight machines and not feeling the pressure to run all the time. But it is nice to know that running can be added to my repertoire if I feel so inclined (which I don't think I will be for a long time).
Now good luck to all my marathon and half-marathon running friends! You all are my heroes. Three miles is barely a warm up for you guys, but it was challenge for me.
Postscript: I wish I could say that tire around my midsection vanished in the course of my working out and training. Alas, no such luck. What's a girl gotta do?!? I'm sorry metabolism for ever taking you for granted; will you forgive me and please return?
They graciously pushed Morgan in her stroller so JD & I could run.

8 comments:
Everyone is running. Why did you have to leave me all alone???
Way to go, Barb! I'm proud of you for sticking it out.
Congratulations on your 1st 5K race Barb; however, I won't be surprised if you sign up for another one in the LATTER future. ;)
Great job Barb and Jonathan! :) I'm so glad that you all did that! You are too funny when sharing your thoughts throughout your run! I would be doing the same thing. ;)
Tell Jonathan, Way-to-go, on supporting his wife so well! :)
BTW, YOU LOOK GREAT!!!! I don't see anything in your mid section! :)
Um, what midsection? I'll show you a midsection...no wait, that would be weird.
Ha ha.
That's so awesome, Barb! Go you. I am nervous about my 5 mile run that I haven't run fully yet. Yikes!
Way to go! I'm thrilled you accomplished your "not stopping" goal.
P.S. just say no to the hot dogs
Just wanted to let you know that I'm finally blogging again! Come check out my site:
http://stephanieross.wordpress.com/
Post a Comment