December 21, 2008

Christmas Emotions...

Santa Torturing Morgan

While I normally love this time of year, I must confess that this year's preparations for my favorite holiday have left me feeling frazzled. Part of this may just be that my entire family is currently recovering from a nasty flu or stomach bug and we leave for Illinois tomorrow. All of the "things" - shopping, gift wrapping, baking/cooking, decorating, writing cards, celebrations, and other "obligations" - have served to steal my joy on a few occasions this Christmas season. I'm hopeful that our travel up to Chicago (which is currently buried in snow and enduring single digit temperatures) will go smoothly and that once I'm with my family, I will experience a fresh wave of joy.

I don't think this was what God had in mind for me... or for any of us as we celebrate the reason for Christmas: the coming of his Son to save us from our sins. After this holiday season ends, I need to sit down and re-think what I did wrong this year and what can be cut out next year so that I don't miss out again next year. Particularly as Morgan gets older, I want her to know the true joys of Christmas ... and get to experience it with joyful parents!

All that being said, I wish you, my dear friends, a Merry Christmas filled with joy recognizing the blessing we have in the Son who came to bring our salvation! I value each of you and am grateful for the friendships you have blessed me and my family with this past year.

With love,
Barb

Morgan's Christmas Portrait

7 comments:

Our Story: Continued said...

Poor girl! I would never torture my child like that! {wink wink!} She's so precious! Merry Christmas to you and your gorgeous family! Love you guys!! ~mck

Anonymous said...

Morgan is obviously upset at the dichotomy presented to her by having to be "joyful" in the arms of someone who's livelihood depends on defenseless reindeer and the marketization of the demise of those same poor deer veiled as sport.

Life is hard little one.

Anonymous said...

Morgan is obviously upset at the dichotomy presented to her by having to be "joyful" in the arms of someone who's livelihood depends on defenseless reindeer and the marketization of the demise of those same poor deer veiled as sport.

Life is hard little one.

Mells said...

I totally understand what you mean! It's been like that since I became a parent. I feel like the joy is squeezed out with all the "to-do's". I will be praying for you all and that YOU may have peace. Merry Christmas and enjoy you family! :)
Love, Melony (Jeremiah 29:11)

Kara said...

Its ok, I'm an adult and I don't like Santa.

Anonymous said...

What a sweetie! (Morgan that is) Hope you all have a great time in Illinois! I'm thinking that Momma adressing cards in June isn't so funny anymore. I can make my cookies in Jan/Feb then freeze them until next Dec, right;) Maybe just throw a big blanket over the tree and I hear evergreen is the new choice of decorations for Mother's Day! From me and mine to you and yours--Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Vanessa - I like your way of thinking! I should start working on them now.

So you're not getting yours late, just really really early! :)

That picture still cracks me up with Santa. Her dress is adorable. I hope you 3 have a wonderful time with your family. We look forward to celebrating with you when you get back. Stay healthy and warm.