November 25, 2008

My Thanksgiving Meme


So I'm already thinking about food in anticipation of Thanksgiving!! The whole giving thanks thing is great and all, but isn't everyone's focus really on the food anyway? Okay, and maybe some football too...

I do love food, but more than the food at Thanksgiving, what I also love about the day is that it ushers in the Christmas season in such a nice way. But in an effort not to brush aside the importance of Thanksgiving and rush onto my favorite holiday, I've decided to stop and reflect - on food ... and a little bit on Thanksgiving :)

1. Which do you like better: Cooking at your house, or going elsewhere?
Going elsewhere is certainly more relaxing – though I’ve never cooked Thanksgiving at my house and would like to give it a try.

2. Do you buy a fresh or frozen bird? Again … never cooked a turkey but would like the opportunity.

3. What kind of stuffing? Good old fashioned Stove Top – sometimes people get a bit too “creative” when they make it themselves. I don’t want any giblets in my stuffing (Mom!).

4. Sweet potato or pumpkin pie? Do I look like a Southern girl to you? I don’t want no stinkin’ sweet potato pie – bring on the pumpkin!

5. Do you believe that turkey leftovers are a curse, or the point of the whole thing? Modest amounts of leftover turkey are okay. I hate when it gets reintroduced as other dishes though – i.e. Turkey Surprise, Turkey Goulash, Turkey Casserole, Turkey Ice Cream.

6. Which side dish would provoke a riot if you left it off the menu? If at a Kilmer family event, it would be the dinner rolls…

7. Do you save the carcass to make soup or stock? Ewww… carcass.

8. What do you wish you had that would make preparing Thanksgiving dinner easier? A babysitter ☺

9. Do you get up at the crack of dawn to have dinner ready in the early afternoon, or do you eat at your normal dinner hour? We’re noontime Thanksgiving meal people in our family. However, I’ll be making the pies (my contribution this year) ahead of time!

10. If you go to somebody else's house, what's your favorite dish to bring? The rolls (so I know that they’re good ☺).

11. What do you wish one of your guests wouldn't bring to your house? Freaky canned cranberries – you know the kind that come out looking like the can it was in…

12. Does your usual mix of guests result in drama, or is it a group you're happy to see? Good group ‘cause we have a good fam.

13. What's your absolute favorite thing on the menu? Tie between mashed potatoes and rolls.

14. What are you thankful for this year? As always, I’m beyond grateful for the life God has blessed me with. It is filled with my wonderful husband and daughter, awesome parents and sisters (mine and JD’s), a job I love, the good fortune of living in the best country on the planet, and a God who provided it all!

I'd love to see your responses. Fellow bloggers, here's an easy post for ya (especially my NaBloPoMo friends)...

4 comments:

Kelly Newcom said...

OK, they are not freakish.
I personally LOVE the canned cranberries.
I have tons of memories of my siblings and I fighting specifically over the "end of the can" piece....the more it looked like the can, the better.
You better believe I'm instilling the love for canned cranberries into my children!!

great post! Happy thanksgiving, friend. Love ya.

Mells said...

Have a Happy Thanksgiving! Thanks for the laugh with the turkey pic and your responses are so witty. God bless you!

Anonymous said...

We love that picture! And yesterday's lunch was terrific. Brian kept commenting about your pies on the trip home. He absolutely loved them! We had the apple pie for dessert last night. And I would definitely miss the desserts if they didn't show up for the Thanksgiving meal!

Christi said...

We LOVE canned cranberries. We had Thanksgiving at our house and we all sat down to eat and realized that I had forgotten to open the cranberries...that almost started a riot. ;-) I hope you had a great day!